Thank you for your devotion to Jesus in the Blessed and Sacrament and for your interest in service at the Altar. Pope Francis tells us that serving at the Altar is a way to grow closer to Jesus which "enables you to open yourselves to others, to journey together, to set demanding goals and to find the strength to achieve them." Altar servers may be any age, but must be Roman Catholic and have received their First Holy Communion.
If you are interested in joining us, please call Lynda at (414) 762-0552 for initial training.
Then, there is a schedule sent out every two months via email.
If you cannot meet your scheduled time, there is a list of substitutes, or call Lynda to find one for you if it is the last minute.
Service involves full and active participation in the Mass.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before Mass for any special duties for this Mass: baptism, incense, chalice exchange, etc.
- Coordinate with the other Server beforehand so that there is minimal talking during Mass.
- Focus on the ambo when the Scripture Readings are proclaimed, and respond by singing the Psalm and Acclamations.
- Your actions should follow the actions of the faithful. Do not move about the sanctuary unless it is an appropriate time or breaks in parts of the Mass.
- Keep your focus on the Altar when the priest is there.
- Throughout the Mass, please make sure that your posture indicates that you are paying attention, and avoid distracting movements like slouching, crossing and uncrossing your legs, or the ever-popular cincture twirl. All this is important so that the people can pray as they see us praying.
- Please help clean-up after Mass: extinguish candles, cleaning vessels in sacristy, etc.
Download the full Altar Server Guidelines for your convenience and extra copies are in the sacristy if needed.
Thanks again for your interest in Service at the Altar!
See you at Mass!